[Samba] wins registration

Andreas Moroder andreas.moroder at sb-brixen.it
Tue Aug 4 09:22:38 MDT 2009

Hello,

we have network printer that have no way to set their hostname locally.
We connect them to the network. When they get the dhcp Address we
connect via browser and set the hostname we want to give them. At the
next boot the dns name is then reset by the dhcp server.

The problem is the wins registration. The printers register to our wins
server the first time with their original name. Even after we changed
their hostname and rebooted them only the original name remains in wins.

Is it possible to force the new hostname into wins ?

Thanks
Andreas