[Samba] Samba does not change UNIX password after OpenLDAP server upgraded

John Du jjohndu at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 21:05:38 GMT 2009

Hi,

I have been running Samba with OpenLDAP for a few years.  We recently
upgrade the OpenLDAP server from 2.2.13 to 2.4.11.

When users change their passwords now, only the Windows password is
changed the UNIX password is not changed anymore.  Samba server does not
log any errors   The samba configuration file did not change when the
LDAP server was upgraded.

I do have "ldap passwd sync =Yes" in smb.conf and it used to work fine.

Has anyone seen this?

If I use

unix password sync = Yes
passwd program = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-passwd -u %u
passwd chat = "Changing password for*\nNew password*" %n\n "*Retype new
password*" %n\n"

instead of "ldappasswd sync", what access control do I have to add to
the slapd.conf file?

Thank you very much for your help!

John