[Samba] ldapsam + IE7 = Broken MS Office 2003/2007

Koji Yanagisawa kyan at epidkardia.sph.umich.edu
Tue Apr 28 17:55:55 GMT 2009

Dear Samba people,

I'm pretty stumped troubleshooting this odd behavior by Microsoft Office
2003/2007 where if I allow the machine to upgrade from Internet Explorer
6 to 7, Office breaks.  Users usually get either "Word could not create
the work file. Check the temp environment variable" or simply not able
to save.

The same machine with IE7 works fine for local users, or when Samba uses
tdbsam.  Normal Office troubleshooting has yielded nothing.

Freshly configuring Samba with LDAP results in the same problem.  I've
tried 2 different servers (RHEL3 and CentOS5) and 2 clients to the same
end.  Local administrative rights have no effect.

I understand the question might sound kind of vague, but has anybody run
into this before?  Am I missing something?

Thank you,