[Samba] linux -> windows special characters in filenames problems

Kaleb Harper kaleb.tmp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 17:03:00 GMT 2009

I'm running Samba 3.32 on my linux server to share files with the windows
computers on the network. My problem is that windows doesn't support some
special characters in filenames, like ' : ', that linux has no problem with.
So something (not sure if it's Samba or windows) is mangling directory/file
names containing that character into 8.3 names, which makes it very
difficult to know from windows what's in the directories; I'm having to open
each directory to see the contents, which is quite an annoyance. Here's a
couple of examples of how it's mangling directory names:

'this: is a test'    is getting turned into        'THUKO5~M'
'this: is another test'        is getting turned into        'TPYQ1X~Y'

Since I suspect there's not an easy way to get windows to understand the ' :
' and various other characters that it probably doesn't understand properly,
I was hoping there was a way to change the mangling to something more
readable. I don't care if it removes the ' : ' completely, or changes it
into some other character, I just want to be rid of the 8.3 names. I'm
hoping that it's something that can be done from Samba so I don't have to
reconfigure several windows computers, but I'll do whatever it takes if I
have to :)

I appreciate any help you all can give me.