[Samba] Low cost additional storage on a Samba server

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 15:26:05 GMT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Michal Dobroczynski
<michal.dobroczynski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I can only confirm - yes - _use_ linux soft raid... do not believe all
> these "smart RAID5 hw cards" :)
>
> Regarding the machines "bought in 2008" - can you please tell me if
> you have a separate controller (I am interested in brand/model) for
> the drives or you are using onboard chip?

I am using ASUS M2N (AMD systems) and ASUS P5Q Pro (Intel systems)
desktop boards with the onboard 6 to 8 SATA ports. To achieve good
write performance I keep the default 64K chunks and tune the stripe
cache size

echo 2048 > /sys/block/md1/md/stripe_cache_size
echo 2048 > /sys/block/md3/md/stripe_cache_size

John