[Samba] problem with groups when adding windows workstation to domain

Ivo Karabojkov ivo at kit-bg.com
Tue Apr 28 09:00:11 GMT 2009

Hi, all!

I am trying to implement Samba 3.3.3 running on FreeBSD 7.1 as a PDC.
Since I am new to Samba I am using some "adopted" sample configurations and
my is similar to shown here: http://www.mrp3.com/windows-to-unix-samba.html

I have two problems and hope to get some help from all of you:

When I add a Windows XP workstation to the domain the group Domain admins is
not automatically added in local Administrators group. I have to log in as
local administrator, add the global group to local one and everything works
fine. I noticed that a group with (?) and SID almost like the Domain admins
(mapped to Wheel) has actually been added. The SID differs in its last
numbers - I have SID ending in "1000", added to local Administrators ends in
"512". Where should I look more carefully?

My other problem is with managing users with SRVTools - usermgr. When I add
a new user I get the following message:
This security ID may not be assigned as the primary group of an object
Managing users (setting passwords, profile location, etc.) works fine,
as works adding new machines to the domain.

Thanks in advance,

Ivo Karabojkov