[Samba] Low cost additional storage on a Samba server

Gary Dale garydale at rogers.com
Tue Apr 28 12:19:12 GMT 2009

Easiest way is to implement software RAID on your current server.
- add 2 (or more) new drives partitioned identically to your current
drive (unless you want to replace your existing drive)
  - partition type is fd (RAID)
- create RAID 5 arrays using the new drives & partitions (except for
/boot which should be on a RAID 1 array)
  - common setup is (but use whatever partition setup you currently have):
     - /boot --> RAID 1
    - / --> 20G RAID 5
    - /home --> rest of space
  - tell mdadm that 1 drive is missing from each array
- copy the files from each partition on your current drive to the RAID
partitions on the new array
- update grub to use the new RAID arrays
- reboot into new array
- if it works, add your original drive (or its replacement) into the
RAID array(s)

Needless to say, back up everything before starting. Creating a RAID
array is safe but mistakes happen and hardware fails.

Benefit of RAID over NAS is
- don't need to change client setups
- can be expanded by adding new drives into array
- speed on reads
- protection against hard drive failure

Google Linux RAID setup for detailed howtos.