[Samba] Samba + LDAP

Tue Apr 28 10:11:02 GMT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:39:48AM +0200, Vladimir Psenicka wrote:
> I have questions about Samba and LDAP.
>
> I have samba configured as PDC with ldap, users and groups are in ldap,
> functional. I want to add another server as member server, I configured
> samba on that server with users/groups authentication against ldap on
> PDC, functional.
>
> But I see this in ldap root:
> sambaDomainname=DOMAIN
> *sambaDomainname=HOSTNAME_OF_MEMBER_SERVER*
>
> Why is member server creating sambaDomainname=HOSTNAME_OF_MEMBER_SERVER
> entry in ldap root? Is this needed for servers trusts?

Every machine with "passdb backend = ldapsam" creates its
own entry, as every machine has its own user database. This
is very much like the local SAM on Windows workstations
where you can log in as local administrator. This won't
happen if you don't set "passdb backend = ldapsam" and join
the servers into the domain.

Volker