[Samba] Re: users home folders not accessable - access denied

dnk d.k.emaillists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 17:05:31 GMT 2009

On 27-Apr-09, at 9:53 AM, dnk wrote:

> - Double checked permissions on the actual home folders:
> # ls -al /home/ | grep user
> drwx------  5 user           user           4096 Apr 26 23:48 user
> -reset them to be safe:
> # chmod -R 700 /home/username; chown -R user:user /home/user

OMG - I just figured it out....

I am posting it here for a resolution to hopefully help others... I
was 2 days in (googling, tweaking, etc)  on this and had never even
thought about this:

Permissions on he home folder itself. For some unknown reason to me,
when i moved my home folder, it had it's permissions set to one of my
users. I was root when I moved it. I must have fudged it!

So for reference, make sure to check the permissions on your folders
ABOVE the share itself as well.

In my case, as simple:

# chown root:root /home
# chmod g+rx /home
# chmod o+rx /home

Bringing my home folder to:

# ls -al / | grep home
drwxr-xr-x 43 root root  4096 Apr 27 08:23 home

ugh.

DK