[Samba] CORRECTION: net ads join fails

McGranahan, Jamen jamen.mcgranahan at Vanderbilt.Edu
Mon Apr 27 15:29:48 GMT 2009

My subject line is incorrect - I just noticed that! Sorry! But I wanted
to add some additional info. I discovered that winbindd does not remove
the PID file when it is stopped, so it was looking at old information
every time I tried wbinfo. Once I stopped winbindd, removed the pid file
(after making a copy), and started winbindd, it created a new PID file
and I was able to get info with wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g. Now I'm having
trouble with getent - it's returning no data. Is there a way I can see
what is going on when I issue the getent command?

Jamen McGranahan

Systems Services Librarian

Vanderbilt University

From: McGranahan, Jamen
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 9:13 AM
To: 'samba at lists.samba.org'
Subject: net ads join fails

Environment: Sun Solaris 9 sparc

Software: Samba 3.3.3, KRB5-1.6.3, OpenLDAP-2.4.11

Situation:

I've been able to verify that samba is compile corrected by issuing the
following commands:

Smbd -b|grep LDAP

Smbd -b|grep KRB

Smbd -b|grep ADS

Smbd -b|grep WINBIND

I've been able to successfully run kinit in the
/usr/local/krb5-1.6.3/bin/ directory. I did discover that just issuing
the kinit command was launching the Sun version of KRB. Once I figured
that out, I made a backup copy of that version, removed the Sun version
and created a sym-link to the 1.6.3 version. Now when I run kinit
anywhere on the server, it picks up the 1.6.3 version and launches
successfully.

I've been able to successfully join our domain by running the following
command:

lib240:/usr/local/samba/bin#./net ads join -U mcgranj

I've modified my nsswitch.conf file and re-started winbindd. However,
when I issue the following commands, I get nothing:

Wbinfo -u

lib240:/usr/local/samba/bin#wbinfo -u

Error looking up domain users

Wbinfo -g

lib240:/usr/local/samba/bin#wbinfo -g

Error looking up domain groups

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

***********************************

* Jamen McGranahan

* Systems Services Librarian

* Library Information Technology Services

* Vanderbilt University

* Suite 700

* 110 21st Avenue South

* Nashville, TN  37240