[Samba] Poor performance when accessing Linux from Windows XP because of too many QUERY_FILE_INFO requests

Xia, Arandar Arandar.xia at chn.fujixerox.com
Mon Apr 27 10:32:30 GMT 2009

> Please connect from XP as a client to your Vista box and compare the traffic generated.
If using Vista as the server, the requests are different. But the client will still send a lot of other requests.

> I very much doubt that has to do with those many requests.
> It very likely is something different. But as you are not answering the question what *exactly* is slow, nobody can tell.
If using default file system, I think it is fast enough to make you ignore the time spent on these requests.
But if using other VFS slower than the default file system, I have to find out what do these requests really for. Because they seem to be unnecessary and make my Samba service slow.

> See my initial reply: This is very likely just normal Windows XP behaviour. What is missing for you here?
Thanks for your help.

// Zeyi