[Samba] Poor performance when accessing Linux from Windows XP because of too many QUERY_FILE_INFO requests

Mon Apr 27 09:24:51 GMT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 05:12:51PM +0800, Xia, Arandar wrote:
> > Sorry, but that's most likely just Windows behaviour.
> Thanks for your reply.
> Do you know why Windows sends so many same requests? What does it want to get on earth?
> I also tried on Windows Vista, the requests are much less.

Windows Vista as client or Windows Vista as server for your
XP client? If your XP behaves differently between connecting
to Samba and connecting to Vista, Samba might have a bug.

> The file attributes are different between Linux and
> Windows XP, so I guess that this is probably because the
> attributes the Samba server responds to the client can not
> meet the client's request fully.  I am not familiar with
> Samba, so I am not sure whether my guess is reasonable.

Please compare XP->Vista to XP->Samba.

> > Are you sure that it is that that makes access slow?
> An action to get attributes of the file is needed for each
> request and there are so many requests.  I think it is the
> reason why my Samba server is slow.

What *exactly* is slow?

Volker