[Samba] Poor performance when accessing Linux from Windows XP because of too many QUERY_FILE_INFO requests

Xia, Arandar Arandar.xia at chn.fujixerox.com
Mon Apr 27 09:12:51 GMT 2009

> Sorry, but that's most likely just Windows behaviour.
Thanks for your reply.
Do you know why Windows sends so many same requests? What does it want to get on earth?
I also tried on Windows Vista, the requests are much less.

The file attributes are different between Linux and Windows XP, so I guess that this is probably because the attributes the Samba server responds to the client can not meet the client's request fully.
I am not familiar with Samba, so I am not sure whether my guess is reasonable.

> Are you sure that it is that that makes access slow?
An action to get attributes of the file is needed for each request and there are so many requests.
I think it is the reason why my Samba server is slow.