[Samba]user directories network path not found -was: Changing users home directory location

Dnk d.k.emaillists at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 22:33:25 GMT 2009

On 26-Apr-09, at 1:30 AM, Michal Dobroczynski <michal.dobroczynski at gmail.com
 > wrote:

> Hello,
> When you create symbolic links to your home directories then take a
> look also on the following configuration directive: "unix extensions".
> We had to set it to "no", otherwise Macs would not really work.
>
> Regards,
> Michal
>
> 2009/4/25 Miguel Medalha <miguelmedalha at sapo.pt>:
>>

>>> But again, no go. So I am assuming there must be another setting
>>>
>> Create a symbolic link from /home to your new home location.
>> You won't need to change anything in your smb.conf.

Well, I got all my directories moved around. I actually ended up
remounting the drive with the user folders back at /home, and mounted
my actual share folders back at /share. Both were always in seperate
drives. All my permissions were actually managed from bash scripts, so
it was super easy to reset and move my main samba shares.

I then swapped the user home folders back using the usermod (-d) tool.

I changed back my smb.conf back to my original settings. I thought
that since my home folders were back where they always were, and that
my smb.conf was back to original - it would all work.

So as it stands, all my defined shares work great, but my user home
folders have the network path not found error when trying to access or
map the drive.

So ideas in this issue?