[Samba] Samba with legacy LDAP

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Thu Apr 23 00:49:12 GMT 2009

Jorgen Lundman wrote:
> There is no way around adding Samba schema? Not that is a big deal,
> but curious. Can I perhaps ask samba to merely query a script for
> authentication and retrieval of uid/gid/homeDirectory? If so, I could
> (temporarily) work around the schema.
Other than your suggestion of trying it out with smbpasswd rather than
LDAP, not really. As well as the username and password there are other
attributes that need to be stored (Domain SID, user SIDs, password
aging, etc), in your situation they probably aren't going to be used
much but I think samba still expects them to be present.

> Ok so it will get the attributes without PAM, but the schema and
> attribute-names are hard-coded.
I believe so, I vaguely recall seeing something about using a different
field for the username or something (I think they were using a different
or outdated schema) but it certainly isn't a common practice.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>