[Samba] Intermittent user authentication problem

Steve Bremer SteveB at nebcoinc.com
Fri Apr 17 21:31:06 GMT 2009

We're experiencing a problem where one of our users is unable to
authenticate to Samba some times (1 - 2 times/week out of 5).  Typically
when it happens, it's when she first attempts to access it in the
morning.  Regardless of how many times she tries again, she is unable to
authenticate.  However, if she tries later in the day, it works fine.
She is the only user this has happened to.  No other users are running
into this problem.  We have about 12 users on this system that access
Samba on a somewhat regular basis.

She accesses the Samba service by clicking on a shortcut we created for
her to map a drive to it.  Here is the contents of the shortcut:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.exe use V: \\lawson\printing /USER:NancyK
/PERSISTENT:NO

In order to troubleshoot it, I've placed it in a batch script so I can
use the pause statement to see the results.  I've also modified it
slightly in an effort to resolve the issue.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.exe use V: \\lawson\printing *
/USER:lawson\NancyK /PERSISTENT:NO
pause

The samba logs indicate that it's a wrong password
(NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD).  However, I've had her try it multiple times
to be sure it's not being mis-typed and all attempts result in the same
error message.  Here PC is rebooted daily, and samba has been scheduled
to restart nightly.

Here are some things I've tried:

-Reset her Samba password - This failed to fix the issue the first time,
but it worked for me today.
-Had her try it from another PC to ensure it wasn't something unusual
with her existing PC.
-Deleted and recreated her Samba user account.
-Tried connecting via UNC: Start -> Run -> \\lawson\printing
-Scheduled Samba to restart each day
-"net use" does not show any prior connections to that server

Client Information
=============
-Windows XP SP3 32-bit part of an Active Directory domain

Samba Server Information
===================
-IBM AIX 5.3 Server
-Samba 3.2.6
-Samba server is NOT tied into AD.
-Configured as it's own PDC.
-Users are authenticated to samba via local smbpasswd file.
-Samba was complied from source with the following options: --with-pam
--with-pam_smbpass
-pam_smbpass is used to automatically create the user account if it
doesn't already exist & set the user's samba password when they login
via telnet
-The server is located at a hosting facility.  All users access it
remotely via a dedicated frame relay circuit.  I don't believe it's a
network issue because myself and other users at this site can access the
server at the same time she is having problems.

See below for our smb.conf and a level 10 debug log.  Please let me know
if there is any other info I can provide.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Steve

smb.conf
=========
# Global parameters

[global]
workgroup = NEBCO
netbios name = LAWPROD
encrypt passwords = Yes
log level = 2
log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%I
include = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.%m
max log size = 10000
os level = 65
preferred master = Yes
dns proxy = No
security = User
interfaces = 192.168.50.6
guest ok = no
lanman auth = no

[printing]
comment = Lawson Print Manager
path = /lawenv1/law/print/%u

[homes]
comment = Home directory
path = %H
write list = steveb, jeffw
browseable = No

[IS]
path = /
valid users = steveb jeffw
write list = steveb jeffw

[CB185]
path = /lawenv1/law/prod81/work/CB185-TAPE
#guest account =
valid users = staceyl sarac
write list = staceyl sarac

[MSDS]
path = /lawenv1/msds
#guest account =
valid users = steveb joshc tameew lindac shawnp nicolek jeffw
write list = steveb joshc tameew lindac shawnp nicolek jeffw

[ACH]
path = /lawenv1/law/prod81/work/TAPE
#guest account =
valid users = janeenf susiel steveb jeffw
write list =

Custom smb.conf for this user to increase logging verbosity:

# Global parameters
[global]
	log level = 10

# Debug log - Attached is a zip file containing the log (rename to
.zip). I've attempted to only include a single session due to size.  If
you want more sessions, let me know.