[Samba] Problem with Samba and Windows Terminal Server 2008

Eric Roseme eroseme at emonster.rose.hp.com
Fri Apr 17 20:52:38 GMT 2009

> Ron Daniel wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> We have a Windows 2008 Terminal Server which people connect into to
>> run their programs. We are getting upwards of 60 people connecting in
>> at any time. We are seeing error messages from the application
>> complaining that it can't access one of the files on one of the
>> shares.  I have read that this problem is likely to be due to the fact
>> that we run one machine as a terminal server and there is only one
>> netbios host being used by mutliple people. The paper I have read from
>> HP refers to registry key called "MultiUserEnabled" on earlier
>> versions of windows terminal server needs to be set to 1 in order for
>> the father smbd process to recognise different sessions connecting
>> from the one host.
>>
>> The paper is at
>> http://www.docs.hp.com/en/12131/Samba-TerminalServer_106.pdf

> I'll look around this afternoon and see if there are any clues that 2008
> has a newly-named mulit-user parm.
>
> Eric Roseme

Ron - I cannot find any evidence that
MultiUserEnabled/EnableMultiUser/MultipleUsersOnConnection has been
rolled forward into Windows 2008.  It's possible that the functionality
was embedded in 2008 - but very unlikely.  Can you verify that your 60
TS users are being serviced from one Samba smbd?  If you do not have any
non-TS users connecting, then that is easy enough by doing a "ps -ef |
grep smbd" and seeing if there are 61 processes or 2.  In the
whitepaper, there are several workarounds suggested.

I'll see if I can find out from MS what the story is about 2008, but for
2000 and 2003 it was a 3-year delay each time, as I recall.

Eric Roseme