[Samba] Problem with Samba and Windows Terminal Server 2008

Eric Roseme eroseme at emonster.rose.hp.com
Thu Apr 16 15:35:39 GMT 2009

Ron Daniel wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We have a Windows 2008 Terminal Server which people connect into to run their programs. We are getting upwards of 60 people connecting in at any time. We are seeing error messages from the application complaining that it can't access one of the files on one of the shares.  I have read that this problem is likely to be due to the fact that we run one machine as a terminal server and there is only one netbios host being used by mutliple people. The paper I have read from HP refers to registry key called "MultiUserEnabled" on earlier versions of windows terminal server needs to be set to 1 in order for the father smbd process to recognise different sessions connecting from the one host.
>
> The paper is at http://www.docs.hp.com/en/12131/Samba-TerminalServer_106.pdf

Oops - that's my paper.  Sorry, I have not looked at 2008 for the
parameter yet.  FYI - for both 2000 and 2003 Microsoft delayed rolling
it forward for a few years.  Many customers were left hanging both
times.  So it is possible that the parm is not on 2008 - I did a quick
google and did not get any hits, but they have changed the name for each
release, so that is not definitive.

I'll look around this afternoon and see if there are any clues that 2008
has a newly-named mulit-user parm.

Eric Roseme