[Samba] [Release Planning 3.4] 3.4.0pre1 will be delayed

Karolin Seeger kseeger at samba.org
Wed Apr 15 13:12:32 GMT 2009

Hi Remy,

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 01:32:51PM +0200, Remy Zandwijk wrote:
> Karolin Seeger wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> the release of Samba 3.4.0pre1 will be delayed until April 30, 2009 due to
>> the samr access check bugs and bug #6263 (Domain login problems in Windows
>> XP without SP3).
>
> So the bug Peter Rindfuss reported yesterday is acknowleged by this?

no, it is _not_ acknowledged yet.

> If so, it would be the third time in a row I plan to upgrade to the latest,
> so called stable, 3.2 release of Samba, but have to cancel it due to a
> show-stopper bug. Remember bug #6040.
>
> I do appreciate the hard work of the Samba dev-team. But wouldn't it be
> wise to maintain only two versions of Samba: one stable release which is
> not being developed, but only gets bugs fixed and one development version
> which contain the latest and greatest new features?

That's the long term plan. 3.0 is just maintained for your convenience.
Please note that 3.4 is still in preparation (pre-release).

> Introducing new bugs like #6263 in a new 'historical' version (=3.2.10)
> really kills the willing of management to have Samba servers in production
> environments.

Samba is an Open Source project. That means, a great portion of work is
done during the spare time of the devolpers and volunteers. Please feel
free to help us testing and report your results. Improving the automated
testing would be nice either.

The code change between 3.2.9 is really small and it was not the intention
to introduce the bug, but maybe it happened.

Cheers,
Karolin

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.SerNet.DE, mailto: Info @ SerNet.DE