[Samba] Fwd: Directory permissions

albertvd at gmail.com albertvd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 10:03:02 GMT 2009

Hello,

I have a Samba server (Version 3.2.4-4.3-2042-SUSE-SL11.0) running on
a openSUSE 11.0 machine.

There is one share configured which allows for all users to read/write
from/to that share. The share is called public and is /home/data on
disk:
[public]
comment = Public data
path = /home/data
read only = No
guest ok = No

One of the directories (/home/data/library) inside the share should be
read only for everybody but three users. The easiest I see to do this
is to create a new share with the correct permissions but the customer
doesn't see it that way - too much trouble mapping another drive on
their machines.

Is there a way that I can configure the file permissions or share that
the directory would be read only for everybody apart from three users?
In other words, share public contains directory library. This library
directory should be read only for all users apart from John, Tracy and
Peter.

At present all users belong to the same group (smbusers) and the
directory /home/data (and all subdirs/files) are owned by whoever
created it and group smbusers. They are all rwxrwx---.

Thanks,

Albert