[Samba] HP Laserjet Printer Installation

amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com
Tue Apr 14 10:12:18 GMT 2009

Hi,
Also i m not able to find PID file for cups as well PID no. for cups using
command
ps -ef | grep cups
Following is the o/p for rpm -qi cups command
Name        : cups                         Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.2.4                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 11.5.el5                      Build Date: Tue 12 Dec 2006
05:02:44 PM IST
Install Date: Sat 07 Mar 2009 11:59:04 AM IST      Build Host:
ls20-bc1-13.build.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Daemons    Source RPM:
cups-1.2.4-11.5.el5.src.rpm
Size        : 8201990                          License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Wed 17 Jan 2007 10:28:48 PM IST, Key ID
5326810137017186
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://www.cups.org/
Summary     : Common Unix Printing System
Description :
The Common UNIX Printing System provides a portable printing layer for
UNIX® operating systems. It has been developed by Easy Software Products
to promote a standard printing solution for all UNIX vendors and users.
CUPS provides the System V and Berkeley command-line interfaces.

Not updating to latest one too.. But below file shows updated status
vi /etc/cups/printers.conf
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.4b2
# Written by cupsd on 2009-04-14 14:36

Please let m know anything can b added in this case..

Regards
Amit Sudhir Anjarlekar
Asst. Systems Engr.
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.   IT Services
                        Business Solutions
                        Outsourcing

Amit Anjarlekar/MUM/TCS
04/14/2009 01:15 PM

mallapadi niranjan <niranjan.ashok at gmail.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [Samba] HP Laserjet Printer Installation

Hi niranjan,
Thanks for the support .. Can u just guide as where do i chk init script
that you are using point to the newly compiled cupsd?
Log file i m not getting anything related to this.
Pls advise.
Thanks in advance..

Regards
Amit Sudhir Anjarlekar
Asst. Systems Engr.
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.   IT Services
                        Business Solutions
                        Outsourcing

mallapadi niranjan <niranjan.ashok at gmail.com>
04/13/2009 10:37 PM

amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com
cc

Subject
Re: [Samba] HP Laserjet Printer Installation

Hi amit

Also one thing i forgot to mention ie after installation of latest
cups service cups restart  is showing following error:
cups: restarted scheduler.                                 [  OK  ]
Cups service not starting. Can u guide as what may b the reason. I
followed the procedure from INSTALL.txt file.

Does the init script that you are using point to the newly compiled cupsd
Also, it can be possible that cupsd process is already running and you
are trying to start the cupsd process again.

check what messages are reported in /var/log/cups/error.log or
appropriate error log file.

Regards
Niranjan

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM,  <amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Its not reflecting in /etc/cups/printers.conf file . Even if i am
manually
> adding the entry, is also not working. Pls suggest.
>
> Regards
> Amit Sudhir Anjarlekar
> Asst. Systems Engr.
> Tata Consultancy Services
> Mailto: amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com
> Website: http://www.tcs.com
> Experience certainty.        IT Services
>                        Business Solutions
>                        Outsourcing
>

> mallapadi niranjan <niranjan.ashok at gmail.com>
>
> 04/13/2009 02:04 PM

> amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com
> cc
> Subject
> Re: [Samba] HP Laserjet Printer Installation
>

> Hi Amit
>
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM,  <amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have a very good query related to printer sharing using samba.
Following
>> is the scenario...
>> I had installed HP laserjet 9040Dn printer on redhat Enterprise linux
5.
>> Shared it using samba. Used winbind protocol to integrate linux with
>> windows AD 2003. Now i am able to see printer in Active directory as
well
>> as linux computer account in AD. But unable to set option
>> lpadmin -p printer -o job-quota-period=604800 -o job-page-limit=100
>> Going after lot of forums, i found that printer should support
>> "job-page-limit" option. Whatever drivers installed for printer are
>> current drivers & ie also from HP site only. HP doesant support linux
OS.
>> So no support from there. Following is the o/p of lpoptions -l command
for
>> the above printer.
>
> As per  problem description , it seems it is a cups issue than samba
issue .

> When you set the limits using lpadmin command, does the limit show in
> /etc/cups/printers.conf ?
>
> ie. when you run " lpadmin -p printer -o job-quota-period=604800 -o
> job-page-limit=100"  does these limits show in /etc/cups/printers.conf
> in the "printer" definition section ?
>
> <Printer test>
> Info test
> DeviceURI socket://10.65.63.223
> State Idle
> StateTime 1239611318
> Accepting Yes
> Shared Yes
> JobSheets none none
> QuotaPeriod 604800
> PageLimit 100
> KLimit 0
> OpPolicy default
> ErrorPolicy stop-printer
> </Printer>
>
> If not then it's a cups issue .
>

> What is the version of cups you are using ?
>
> rpm -q cups
>

>> HPOption_Tray1/Tray 1: True *False
>> HPOption_2000_Sheet_Tray/2000-Sheet Input Tray (Tray 4): True *False
>> HPOption_Duplexer/Duplex Unit: True *False
>> HPOption_Disk/Printer Disk: *None RAMDisk HardDisk
>> HPOption_MBM_Mixed/Accessory Output Bins: *Standard MBMStaplerStacker
>> MBMStacker HPFinisher HPMultiBinMailbox
>> HPMailboxMode/Mailbox Mode: *PrintersDefault Standard MBMode
StackerMode
>> SeparatorMode SorterCollatorMode
>> InstalledMemory/Total Printer Memory: *64-127MB 128-255MB 256-383MB
>> 384-512MB
>> HPOption_PaperPolicy/Fit to Page: *PromptUser NearestSizeAdjust
>> NearestSizeNoAdjust
>> HPJobRetentionOption/Job Retention: HPJobRetentionQuickCopy
>> HPJobRetentionProof HPJobRetentionStore *HPJobRetentionOff
>> HPUserName/User Name: *FileSharingName Forms Set
>> HPJobName/Job Name: *DocName Set
>> HPwmSwitch/Watermark/Overlay: *Off Watermark Overlay
>> HPwmPages/Watermark Pages: *AllPages FirstPage
>> HPwmTextMessage/Watermark Text: *Draft CompanyConfidential
>> CompanyProprietary CompanyPrivate Confidential Copy Copyright FileCopy
>> Final ForInternalUse Preliminary Proof ReviewCopy Sample TopSecret
Urgent
>> Set
>> HPwmFontName/Watermark Font: CourierB *HelveticaB TimesB
>> HPwmFontSize/Watermark Size (points): pt24 pt30 pt36 pt42 *pt48 pt54
pt60
>> pt66 pt72 pt78 pt84 pt90
>> HPwmTextAngle/Watermark Angle: Deg90 Deg75 Deg60 *Deg45 Deg30 Deg15
Deg0
>> DegN15 DegN30 DegN45 DegN60 DegN75 DegN90
>> HPwmTextStyle/Watermark Style: Thin *Medium Thick Halo Fill
>> HPwmBrightness/Watermark Intensity: Darkest Darker Dark MediumDark
*Medium
>> MediumLight Light Lighter Lightest
>> OutputBin/Output Destination: *PrinterDefault Upper Left StackerFaceUp
>> Stacker UStapler HPBooklet HP8BinMB
>> HPStaplerOptions/Finishing Options: *PrintersDefault 1diagonal
1parallel
>> 2parallel 3parallel 6parallel HPBooklet
>> HPMailboxOptions/Mailbox Options: *PrintersDefault Bin1 Bin2 Bin3 Bin4
>> Bin5 Bin6 Bin7 Bin8 Bin1_8
>> HPEdgeToEdge/Edge-To-Edge Printing: *False True
>> HPRotate180/Rotate Page 180 deg: *False True
>> Collate/Collate: *True False
>> PageSize/Media Size: *Letter LetterSmall Legal LegalSmall Executive
>> HalfLetter w612h935 Tabloid 12X18 A3 RA3 A4 A4Small A5 B5 B4 w612h936
>> DoublePostcard w774h1116 w558h774 EnvISOB5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL EnvMonarch
>> Custom
>> PageRegion/PageRegion: Letter LetterSmall Legal LegalSmall Executive
>> HalfLetter w612h935 Tabloid 12X18 A3 RA3 A4 A4Small A5 B5 B4 w612h936
>> DoublePostcard w774h1116 w558h774 EnvISOB5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL EnvMonarch
>> InputSlot/Media Source: Tray1 *Tray2 Tray3 Tray4Optional
>> ManualFeed/Tray 1 (Manual): True *False
>> MediaType/Media Type: *Unspecified Plain Preprinted Letterhead
>> Transparency Prepunched Labels Bond Recycled Color CardStock164 Rough
>> Envelope
>> Duplex/Duplex: *None DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble
>> HPHalftone/Levels of Gray: *PrinterDefault Enhanced Standard
>> Resolution/Printer Resolution: 600x600dpi *600x600x2dpi
>> HPEconoMode/EconoMode: *PrinterDefault True False
>> Smoothing/Resolution Enhancement: *PrinterDefault None Light Medium
Dark