[Samba] HP Laserjet Printer Installation

amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com
Mon Apr 13 14:59:29 GMT 2009

Hi all,
Also one thing i forgot to mention ie after installation of latest cups
service cups restart  is showing following error:
cups: restarted scheduler.                                 [  OK  ]
Cups service not starting. Can u guide as what may b the reason. I
followed the procedure from INSTALL.txt file.

Regards
Amit Sudhir Anjarlekar
Asst. Systems Engr.
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.   IT Services
                        Business Solutions
                        Outsourcing

Amit Anjarlekar/MUM/TCS
04/13/2009 07:54 PM

mallapadi niranjan <niranjan.ashok at gmail.com>, samba at lists.samba.org
cc

Subject
Re: [Samba] HP Laserjet Printer Installation

Hi,
Updated to CUPS v1.4b2 version, but still /etc/cups/printers.conf file is
not updating as well quota setting not working..
Any luck, pls suggest...

Regards
Amit Sudhir Anjarlekar
Asst. Systems Engr.
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.   IT Services
                        Business Solutions
                        Outsourcing

mallapadi niranjan <niranjan.ashok at gmail.com>
04/13/2009 03:24 PM

amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com
cc

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM,  <amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Its not reflecting in /etc/cups/printers.conf file . Even if i am
manually
> adding the entry, is also not working. Pls suggest.

Then it could be a bug with cups,  try latest cups form cups.org

> Regards
> Amit Sudhir Anjarlekar
> Asst. Systems Engr.
> Tata Consultancy Services
> Mailto: amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com
> Website: http://www.tcs.com
> Experience certainty.        IT Services
>                        Business Solutions
>                        Outsourcing
>

> mallapadi niranjan <niranjan.ashok at gmail.com>
>
> 04/13/2009 02:04 PM

> amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com
> cc
> Subject
> Re: [Samba] HP Laserjet Printer Installation
>

> Hi Amit
>
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM,  <amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have a very good query related to printer sharing using samba.
Following
>> is the scenario...
>> I had installed HP laserjet 9040Dn printer on redhat Enterprise linux
5.
>> Shared it using samba. Used winbind protocol to integrate linux with
>> windows AD 2003. Now i am able to see printer in Active directory as
well
>> as linux computer account in AD. But unable to set option
>> lpadmin -p printer -o job-quota-period=604800 -o job-page-limit=100
>> Going after lot of forums, i found that printer should support
>> "job-page-limit" option. Whatever drivers installed for printer are
>> current drivers & ie also from HP site only. HP doesant support linux
OS.
>> So no support from there. Following is the o/p of lpoptions -l command
for
>> the above printer.
>
> As per  problem description , it seems it is a cups issue than samba
issue .

> When you set the limits using lpadmin command, does the limit show in
> /etc/cups/printers.conf ?
>
> ie. when you run " lpadmin -p printer -o job-quota-period=604800 -o
> job-page-limit=100"  does these limits show in /etc/cups/printers.conf
> in the "printer" definition section ?
>
> <Printer test>
> Info test
> DeviceURI socket://10.65.63.223
> State Idle
> StateTime 1239611318
> Accepting Yes
> Shared Yes
> JobSheets none none
> QuotaPeriod 604800
> PageLimit 100
> KLimit 0
> OpPolicy default
> ErrorPolicy stop-printer
> </Printer>
>
> If not then it's a cups issue .
>

> What is the version of cups you are using ?
>
> rpm -q cups
>

>> HPOption_Tray1/Tray 1: True *False
>> HPOption_2000_Sheet_Tray/2000-Sheet Input Tray (Tray 4): True *False
>> HPOption_Duplexer/Duplex Unit: True *False
>> HPOption_Disk/Printer Disk: *None RAMDisk HardDisk
>> HPOption_MBM_Mixed/Accessory Output Bins: *Standard MBMStaplerStacker
>> MBMStacker HPFinisher HPMultiBinMailbox
>> HPMailboxMode/Mailbox Mode: *PrintersDefault Standard MBMode
StackerMode
>> SeparatorMode SorterCollatorMode
>> InstalledMemory/Total Printer Memory: *64-127MB 128-255MB 256-383MB
>> 384-512MB
>> HPOption_PaperPolicy/Fit to Page: *PromptUser NearestSizeAdjust
>> NearestSizeNoAdjust
>> HPJobRetentionOption/Job Retention: HPJobRetentionQuickCopy
>> HPJobRetentionProof HPJobRetentionStore *HPJobRetentionOff
>> HPUserName/User Name: *FileSharingName Forms Set
>> HPJobName/Job Name: *DocName Set
>> HPwmSwitch/Watermark/Overlay: *Off Watermark Overlay
>> HPwmPages/Watermark Pages: *AllPages FirstPage
>> HPwmTextMessage/Watermark Text: *Draft CompanyConfidential
>> CompanyProprietary CompanyPrivate Confidential Copy Copyright FileCopy
>> Final ForInternalUse Preliminary Proof ReviewCopy Sample TopSecret
Urgent
>> Set
>> HPwmFontName/Watermark Font: CourierB *HelveticaB TimesB
>> HPwmFontSize/Watermark Size (points): pt24 pt30 pt36 pt42 *pt48 pt54
pt60
>> pt66 pt72 pt78 pt84 pt90
>> HPwmTextAngle/Watermark Angle: Deg90 Deg75 Deg60 *Deg45 Deg30 Deg15
Deg0
>> DegN15 DegN30 DegN45 DegN60 DegN75 DegN90
>> HPwmTextStyle/Watermark Style: Thin *Medium Thick Halo Fill
>> HPwmBrightness/Watermark Intensity: Darkest Darker Dark MediumDark
*Medium
>> MediumLight Light Lighter Lightest
>> OutputBin/Output Destination: *PrinterDefault Upper Left StackerFaceUp
>> Stacker UStapler HPBooklet HP8BinMB
>> HPStaplerOptions/Finishing Options: *PrintersDefault 1diagonal
1parallel
>> 2parallel 3parallel 6parallel HPBooklet
>> HPMailboxOptions/Mailbox Options: *PrintersDefault Bin1 Bin2 Bin3 Bin4
>> Bin5 Bin6 Bin7 Bin8 Bin1_8
>> HPEdgeToEdge/Edge-To-Edge Printing: *False True
>> HPRotate180/Rotate Page 180 deg: *False True
>> Collate/Collate: *True False
>> PageSize/Media Size: *Letter LetterSmall Legal LegalSmall Executive
>> HalfLetter w612h935 Tabloid 12X18 A3 RA3 A4 A4Small A5 B5 B4 w612h936
>> DoublePostcard w774h1116 w558h774 EnvISOB5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL EnvMonarch
>> Custom
>> PageRegion/PageRegion: Letter LetterSmall Legal LegalSmall Executive
>> HalfLetter w612h935 Tabloid 12X18 A3 RA3 A4 A4Small A5 B5 B4 w612h936
>> DoublePostcard w774h1116 w558h774 EnvISOB5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL EnvMonarch
>> InputSlot/Media Source: Tray1 *Tray2 Tray3 Tray4Optional
>> ManualFeed/Tray 1 (Manual): True *False
>> MediaType/Media Type: *Unspecified Plain Preprinted Letterhead
>> Transparency Prepunched Labels Bond Recycled Color CardStock164 Rough
>> Envelope
>> Duplex/Duplex: *None DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble
>> HPHalftone/Levels of Gray: *PrinterDefault Enhanced Standard
>> Resolution/Printer Resolution: 600x600dpi *600x600x2dpi
>> HPEconoMode/EconoMode: *PrinterDefault True False
>> Smoothing/Resolution Enhancement: *PrinterDefault None Light Medium
Dark