[Samba] HP Laserjet Printer Installation

amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com
Mon Apr 13 09:37:59 GMT 2009

Hi,
Its not reflecting in /etc/cups/printers.conf file . Even if i am manually
adding the entry, is also not working. Pls suggest.

Regards
Amit Sudhir Anjarlekar
Asst. Systems Engr.
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.   IT Services
                        Business Solutions
                        Outsourcing

mallapadi niranjan <niranjan.ashok at gmail.com>
04/13/2009 02:04 PM

amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com
cc

Subject
Re: [Samba] HP Laserjet Printer Installation

Hi Amit

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM,  <amit.anjarlekar at tcs.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a very good query related to printer sharing using samba.
Following
> is the scenario...
> I had installed HP laserjet 9040Dn printer on redhat Enterprise linux 5.
> Shared it using samba. Used winbind protocol to integrate linux with
> windows AD 2003. Now i am able to see printer in Active directory as
well
> as linux computer account in AD. But unable to set option
> lpadmin -p printer -o job-quota-period=604800 -o job-page-limit=100
> Going after lot of forums, i found that printer should support
> "job-page-limit" option. Whatever drivers installed for printer are
> current drivers & ie also from HP site only. HP doesant support linux
OS.
> So no support from there. Following is the o/p of lpoptions -l command
for
> the above printer.

As per  problem description , it seems it is a cups issue than samba issue
.

When you set the limits using lpadmin command, does the limit show in
/etc/cups/printers.conf ?

ie. when you run " lpadmin -p printer -o job-quota-period=604800 -o
job-page-limit=100"  does these limits show in /etc/cups/printers.conf
in the "printer" definition section ?

<Printer test>
Info test
DeviceURI socket://10.65.63.223
State Idle
StateTime 1239611318
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 604800
PageLimit 100
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

If not then it's a cups issue .

What is the version of cups you are using ?

rpm -q cups

> HPOption_Tray1/Tray 1: True *False
> HPOption_2000_Sheet_Tray/2000-Sheet Input Tray (Tray 4): True *False
> HPOption_Duplexer/Duplex Unit: True *False
> HPOption_Disk/Printer Disk: *None RAMDisk HardDisk
> HPOption_MBM_Mixed/Accessory Output Bins: *Standard MBMStaplerStacker
> MBMStacker HPFinisher HPMultiBinMailbox
> HPMailboxMode/Mailbox Mode: *PrintersDefault Standard MBMode StackerMode
> SeparatorMode SorterCollatorMode
> InstalledMemory/Total Printer Memory: *64-127MB 128-255MB 256-383MB
> 384-512MB
> HPOption_PaperPolicy/Fit to Page: *PromptUser NearestSizeAdjust
> NearestSizeNoAdjust
> HPJobRetentionOption/Job Retention: HPJobRetentionQuickCopy
> HPJobRetentionProof HPJobRetentionStore *HPJobRetentionOff
> HPUserName/User Name: *FileSharingName Forms Set
> HPJobName/Job Name: *DocName Set
> HPwmSwitch/Watermark/Overlay: *Off Watermark Overlay
> HPwmPages/Watermark Pages: *AllPages FirstPage
> HPwmTextMessage/Watermark Text: *Draft CompanyConfidential
> CompanyProprietary CompanyPrivate Confidential Copy Copyright FileCopy
> Final ForInternalUse Preliminary Proof ReviewCopy Sample TopSecret
Urgent