Re: [Samba] stale timestamp hell‏

Chuck T. freebsdfan at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 12 16:26:51 GMT 2009

Well, you're right Windoze does the same thing with my batch
file.  But the timing on the editor must be different as I've
never seen the problem editing files on Windoze shares.

The captures show the problem the editor is having.  In both
captures I mounted/mapped the share, opened the test file "e" and
appended a space and then saved it. The first time the editor didn't
complain so I appended another space and saved it again.  The problem
occurred on the second save.  I did the same thing on the Windows
share about 30 times without a failure.  The captures are here:
http://members.cox.net/~skipsfiles/time_stamp_captures.tgz .
I'd say the problem occurs more than 50% of the time.

The machines are very similar and both are plugged into the same
gigabit switch with very little network activity.  The traces are
filtered to show just the applicable traffic.

Is there anyway to disable the "correct" behavior and go back to the
"incorrect" but sane behavior of earlier versions of samba? I've
been using Samba since FreeBSD 1.x days without an issue.  Editors
are a religious thing and I worship at the slickedit altar, but
I'm too cheap to buy the Linux version.

Thanks!

Skip