[Samba] Some questions about Samba and LDAP

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 21:56:48 GMT 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 3:34 PM,  <miguelmedalha at sapo.pt> wrote:
>> - I have my users database existing in LDAP, how can I add Samba
>>  support? I understand that I should modify the objectClass of each
>>  user to include sambaSamAccount, but then each user must also have
>>  an attribute sambaSID. How can I generate that attribute?
>
> You can try LAM, LDAP Account Manager, a web interface to LDAP directories.
> It has a samba-specific section that lets you create and administer samba
> accounts.
>
> It resides here:
>
> http://lam.sourceforge.net/

That is a great tool and I use it as my main administration tool for
my samba accounts, however  this usage would depend on how many users
are in the ldap. I mean don't you have to add the samba accounts one
by one for each user? If there are more than 20 users in the ldap this
will be a lot of work.. I could be wrong about that I have already had
my samba accounts in my ldap before I started using lam. I do use it
to add new users, but that is one at a time anyways and also for me
new users are generally less than 1 per month on average...

John