[Samba] Samba Undesirable Behavior

Jeffery Soo js at realtechtalk.com
Wed Apr 8 11:05:47 GMT 2009

I have security=share and I think it is the perfect solution.
Windows clients can browse all public shares just fine and you get
prompted for a password when trying to browse a private share.

In Linux it doesn't work, here is what happens even when you enter a
valid username and password:

Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28-0.el4.9]
Server not using user level security and no password supplied.
Server requested LANMAN password (share-level security) but 'client
lanman auth' is disabled
tree connect failed: SUCCESS - 0

It seems that you can't authenticate with the client when you have
security=share.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks