[Samba] Unable To Access Samba Share From Linux But Can From Windows

Gordon Dickens gordon at dickens.com
Tue Apr 7 12:09:19 GMT 2009

I have successfully installed Samba on several CentOS machines but I am
having problems attaining complete success on a Ubuntu 8.04 machine.
The Ubuntu machine's configuration file is very simple and looks like this:

[global]
        server string = Samba Server
        security = USER
        workgroup = workgroup
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = No

[pamuser]
        comment = Secure User's Home Directory
        path = /home/secureuser
        valid users = secureuser
        read only = No

[public]
        comment = Public file sharing space
        path = /home/public
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

This machine's name is ubuntu and it is within a network with several
other Windows machines and one CentOS machine.  The pamuser is a
passworded pam user. Samba runs successfully in this config except that
I am unable to access the pamuser's share from the very same ubuntu
machine using smbclient \\\\ubuntu\\pamuser.  Instead, the following
error message appears (after password dialog) :

session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Otherwise, the above config works fine in that I can access the ubuntu
pamuser share from the other Windows and CentOS machines and I can also
access shares on these other machines from the ubuntu machine.

Now, when I then change the security setting to security = SHARE then I
am again able to access the pamuser ubuntu machine from all other
Windows machines, however, I cannot access the pamuser share from the
very same ubuntu machine or the CentOS machine.  With security = SHARE I
get a different error message as follows:

tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

So, in summary, with security = USER, I can access the pamuser share
from everywhere (Windows and CentOS) except from the very ubuntu machine
where the pamuser resides.  Whereas, with security = SHARE, I can access
the pamuser share from all Windows machines but not from the CentOS
machine or the ubuntu machine where the pamuser resides.

I have already spent the better part of two days trying to figure this
out and I have googled it to death.  I hope that a samba expert on this
list can offer a solution.

Many Thanks,

Gordon Dickens