[Samba] ntlm challenges not working

robert rottermann robert at redcor.ch
Tue Apr 7 11:25:28 GMT 2009

Hi there,

I try to have a XP box using ntlm authentication when accessing a samba domain.

In apache I have the following stanza:
<Location "/">
    AuthName "NTLM Authentication thingy"
    NTLMAuth on
    NTLMAuthHelper "/opt/samba/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp"
    NTLMBasicAuthoritative on
    AuthType NTLM
    require valid-user
</Location>

In IE7 on the client I added the apache site to the list of intranet sites so
windows should use ntlm to send its credentials.

now when I access the apache site appache issues a challenge and announces it
would accept ntlm.
I checked that using whireshark, the relevant frame shows the following:

    Hypertext Transfer Protocol
    HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required\r\n
        Request Version: HTTP/1.1
        Response Code: 401