[Samba] Re: nss_wins: create_builtin_users: Failed to create Users

MargoAndTodd margoandtodd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 04:30:52 GMT 2009

John Drescher wrote:
>> To answer my own question, I severely misunderstood what
>> "man smb.conf" was saying about "idmap uid" and
>> "idmap uid".  I was trying to match them up with
>> my current user numbers and group numbers.
>>
>> Placing my idmaps in this range cured the error
>> message.
>>
>>        idmap uid = 15000-20000
>>        idmap gid = 15000-20000
>>

> I was going to mention that your ids looked unusually low but I was
> too busy at the day job and I hoped someone who understood the full
> implications of that would chime in..
>
> John

Hi John,

Thank you for all the help.  I know I ask a bazillion questions.

This is where I got screwed up in "man smb.conf"

        idmap uid (G)
           The idmap uid parameter specifies the range of
           user ids that are allocated for use in mapping
           UNIX users to NT user SIDs.

It was the "mapping" that made me think I had to map the
existing UID's/GID's to the "idmap uid/gid" parameter.

It was this next sentence that made me start to think:

           This range of ids should have no existing local
           or NIS users within it as strange conflicts can
           occur otherwise.

It was the "strange conflicts" that got me.

I am writing this rather weird synopsis as I searched
the Internet in vain trying to find an answer and
I wanted to get it salted in the archives so as to
help someone else.

Again thank you for all the help.

-T