[Samba] SAMBA PDC / Server 2003 Shares - Error 1728 on clients - Error C002001D on Server 2003

Darrell A. Sullivan, II darrell at flores-associates.com
Mon Apr 6 16:02:11 GMT 2009

Hello,

A few weeks ago I was trying to add a Server 2008 machine to my network that
is using an NT 4.0 PDC. I ran into issues both with Samba communication with
Server 2008 and with NT communication with server 2008 so I "downgraded" and
installed Server 2003 on that machine instead.

Now when I attempt to connect to the Server 2003 machine I am receiving
errors.

If I type in "net view db1" in a client (I have tried XP, NT 4.0, and
Windows 2000) I recive this error message:
System error 1728 has occurred.
A remote procedure call (RPC) protocol error occurred.

Checking the logs on the Server 2003 machine I am attempting to access I
receive this information:
Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Logon/Logoff