[Samba] Problem with Samba 4 and Fedora Directory Server

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Apr 6 04:32:34 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 14:28 -0700, Alan Worstell wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to integrate Samba with an existing CentOS Directory Server

How do you plan to 'integrate' this?  Remember, Samba4 creates a new
directory tree from scratch (rather than Samba3's ability to easily
'attach' to another directory).

> using the instructions at
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/LDAP_Backend/Fedora_DS
>
> I'm at the step "On both hosts, prepare the backend:" and use the code
> there, replacing the realm, domain, and password with my own, and I get
> this error:
>
> provision-backend: error: no such option: --ldap-manager-pass

This particular option has been renamed to --ldap-admin-pass

> If I remove the password line I get a bunch of python errors. Does
> anyone have any suggestions?

The Fedora DS backend has become un-maintained, as has the wiki page.
While it is the aim to have this working again at some point, more
effort (particularly by some very helpful external contributors) has
gone into the OpenLDAP backend at this time.

Andrew Bartlett