[Samba] can "root" still connect clients to a domain?

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Tue Sep 30 11:37:00 GMT 2008

Hallo, samba,

when I connect a Windows client to a Samba domain I am asked for the
user's login name and password on the Linux server who has the rights to
do this job.

Under Samba 3.0.22 and older I could use "root" with a password defined
via "smbpasswd" (must not be the Linux password). Under Samba 3.0.28 and
newer this way seems no more possible; I have to use another user from
the "admin users = xxx, yyy, zzz" line.

Is that a change which is somewhere documented?

Please excuse my gerlish.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut