[Samba] OSX client, Linux server, permissions problem

James Peach jorgar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 21:53:29 GMT 2008

2008/9/29 Brian Gregorcy <brian.gregorcy at utah.edu>:

> barsalou wrote:
>>
>> I've been using samba for some time and have always had a good experience.
>>
>> I decided to try and configure my home network to let all my computers
>> talk to the samba share.
>>
>> I'm stuck on one part where my OSX client, when creating new
>> files/directories, won't create them writeable by the group.
>>
>> I've tried what seems like every combination of directory mask, force
>> directory mode, etc. but I'm unable to get the OSX client to create folders
>> with 770 permissions on any newly created folders.
>>
>> What I'd like to do is find a way to "see" all the permission's that are
>> getting applied to that directory when it is getting created.
>>
>> This isn't a production box, so I'm willing to try anything at the moment.
>>
>> The good news is that it does create new files and folders...just that
>> other users can't modify them.
>>
>> I do have logging turned up, but do not know what I should be looking for.
>>
>> Scenario:
>>
>> Client - OSX 10.5
>> Server - Ubuntu 7.04, XFS mounted /home, Samba 3.026a
>>

>> Share section of smb.conf
>>
>> [shared]
>> path = /home/shared
>> available = yes
>> browseable = yes
>> writable = yes
>> create mask = 02770
>> directory mask = 02770
>> force group = +shared
>>

>> Testparm results (shared section)
>> [shared]
>>        path = /home/shared
>>        force group = +shared
>>        read only = No
>>
>> Hope I didn't forget anything.
>>

> I know this doesn't help but we are seeing the same problem, I opened a bug
> with apple but so far have not heard anything back.  I also sent this email
> to this list awhile back and did not get a response, the copy of the email I
> sent is below.

You might be seeing the SMB unix extensions in action. In 10.5, the OS
X SMB filesystem was taught to understand some SMB protocol extensions
designed for unix system. what *might* be happening here is that the
client is resetting the permissions after Samba applies the
configuration mode masks.

You should be able to verify this by packet sniffing or setting "unix
extensions = no" on the server.

James Peach | jorgar at gmail.com