[Samba] Users can read/write to other user's directories

Wolfgang Ratzka ratzka at HRZ.Uni-Marburg.DE
Sat Sep 27 10:52:52 GMT 2008

Richard Thomas schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I am setting up Samba on my CentOS server and have Samba version
> 3.0.28-1.el5_2.1.
>
> I started configuring the smb.conf file and then went on to use
> webmin to configure it.
>
> I have made sure I have restarted Samba after making changes.
>
> When I connect from my Windows PC to the Samba server, I can read and
> write to other Samba user's directories.

This is due to the "force user" setting in your share definitions.
With force user samba effectively switches to the forced user
when accessing the share. (This is only useful for special shares
where you might want to force one special user for all samba access
to the share.)

Regards
Wolfgang Ratzka