[Samba] odd mac situation

Mike Eggleston mikeegg1 at mac.com
Fri Sep 26 20:45:36 GMT 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Mike Eggleston might have said:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, James Peach might have said:
>
> > 2008/9/11 Mike Eggleston <mikeegg1 at mac.com>:
> > > Morning,
> > >
> > > This is somewhat off topic. I've not thought of a better place to ask
> > > than here.
> > >
> > > I have a user on a Macbook (Mac OS X 10.5, Leopard) with Microsoft Office
> > > 2008 for the mac and Parallels running an image of Microsoft Windows XP
> > > Pro with Microsoft Office 2007. Inside Parallels and XP Pro the user can
> > > open a spreadsheet shared from a Windows Server 2003 box, and yet the
> > > user gets an error (read only, etc) when opening the same spreadsheet
> > > shared from the same server on the pure mac side in Microsoft Office 2008.
> > >
> > > Any idea what might be going on. The user is using a domain account from
> > > a samba PDC (ha, there's the samba reference) and I find no entries in
> > > the Event Viewer on the Windows 2003 server.
> >
> > You should check that the Mac user is getting the authentication they
> > expect. Maybe they accidentally got connected as the guest user? I
> > expect that you could verify this from the Windows serve console.
> >
> > --
> > James Peach | jorgar at gmail.com
>
> Great idea and way to test. I'll do that test as soon as the user
> returns from a conference.
>
> Mike

Ok, I applied the combo patch for mac os x 10.5, the user rebooted,
and I checked the user is getting properly authenticated on the windows
2003 server. The user still has the issue of being able to opena a file
inside parallels and not able to open that same file (not at the same
time, duh) in mac os x.

What to try next?

Mike