[Samba] Few questions on configuring Samba as a PDC

Jesse Stone jstone1999 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 17:59:14 GMT 2008

Please don't flame me.  I did attempt to search before posting this question
(through Gmail), if there's a better way, please let me know!

I followed this article for implementing a Samba PDC:
http://www.howtoforge.com/samba_setup_ubuntu_5.10_p4

Question 1)  The only accout that appears to be able to add an account onto
the domain is the root account.  There must be a way to change that to a
standard account.  I'm using Ubuntu and do not use the root account for
anything.

I've tried changing "root = Administrator" in /etc/samba/smbusers to
"otheruser = Administrator" but that doesn't seem to do it.

Question 2)  Per the document about I have made the following permission
changes to /home/samba:
rwxrwxr-x 2 root domainusers 4096 2008-09-25 12:43 netlogon
drwxrwxr-x 3 root domainusers 4096 2008-09-26 01:40 profiles
I bet this would work if I added a user as a domainuser but domainadmins
cannot store roaming profiles.  How can I see it up so that I can have
multiple domainadmins and domainusers (and not use root at all)?

Question 3)  I have three Linux machines that I would like to connect to the
domain.  Any good documentation on how to do that?  For example, my son
using Kubuntu and I would like him to be a domain user.

Question 4) Using Windows Vista 64bit on an account that is in the
domainadmins group, I still get permission denied errors when trying to
access certain folders.  Should I have full access as a domain
administrator?

Question 5) Is there a way to sync the new domain account with the existing
account?  Currently, when I login to the domain I get a fresh profile and
lose all my settings.  Due to question 4, I can't even manually migrate the
settings from my older profile into the new one.

I'm about to completely redo my smb.conf as I am currently using the one
straight from the website above which is older.  I'm going to use the
current version of smb.conf and just manually adjust what's required.  Is
there anything else I should look into?  Links to good websites would be
great!

Thanks,
Jesse