[Samba] "hide dot files" parameter

Bill Aitken bill.aitken at prostrakan.com
Wed Sep 24 23:58:48 GMT 2008

You need to configure samba to veto the files/folders you don't want
clients to see.  Add something similar to the following to your smb.conf:

   # Never allow clients to view the following files (even when they
chose to show hidden files).
   # Do not allow clients to delete folders which have hidden files
within them.
   veto files = /.Maildir/.*/
   delete veto files = No

I also tend to add the following to my smb.conf:

   # Files that have their Linux permissions set to prevent access
shouldn't even appear
   hide unreadable = yes

Regards,
Bill