[Samba] Problems with create and directory mode if mounted

Lukas Grässlin lukasgraesslin at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 17:10:46 GMT 2008

Volker Lendecke wrote:
 > On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 03:36:21PM +0200, Lukas Grässlin wrote:
 >> I have a problem: I set up samba on my home server to share some
files. In my smb.conf I set to the shares "directory mode = 0775" and
"create mode = 0664". So new files will have 664 permissions and new
dirs 775 permissions. If I access to the smb shares over my file
explorer and create files an dirs, they get the permissions on the
server I set in the smb.conf. So it works!
 >> Now the problem: If I mount the share and create there files and
dirs, they _DO NOT_ get the permissions on the server they should have
(The perimssions I set in the smb.conf)
 >> My mount command:
 >>
 >> mount -t cifs -o username=user,password=pass,iocharset=utf8
//home-server/share /share
 >> (mount -t smbfs doesn't work)
 >>
 >> I hope you're able to understand my (probably) english ;-)
 >
 > You're seeing cifs/samba unix extension. The client
 > determines the mask according to the local umask. If you
 > really don't want this, try "unix extensions = no".
 >
 > Volker

Hm, "unix extensions = no" doesn't really work. Maybe I do something wrong?
The main problem ist that I habe three Samba Users on the Server. And if
userA creates a file, which has the rights rw-r--r-- userB can't edit
this file, but he should be able to do. Thats my problem. So I need e.g.
that new files automatically get the rights I set in my smb.conf. And
that's not the case if I mount the share.