[Samba] need migration/upgrade help

g s myitguru at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 00:36:48 GMT 2008

Hello All,

I am trying to migrate samba from a box with Mandrake 10.1 with Samba
3.0.10 to a new box running CentOS 5.2 with Samba 3.0.28.  The two
versions of samba are too differnet to simply copy the config and tdb
files over to the new box and the Mandrake box won't upgrade past
3.0.10. I could really use some suggestions. Thanks

The problem when I do that is the Centos box with Samba 3.0.28 generates
an schannel_store.tdb in the "private" dir when I attempt to login from a
client machine. It allows the login but denies access to the users home
dir on the samba server. In the schannel_store.tdb some machine info is
placed similar to what you see in the secrets.tdb file. This causes problems
with the client machines not being able to find the user profile...etc. I would
like to fix this issue the "right way" whatever that is, instead of starting over
and rejoining all the machines in the domain again. Any insights would be
appreciated. Thanks.

Greg