[Samba] Re: smbstatus - switched off computers are sometimes showed

Avery Payne avery.p.payne at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 23:12:03 GMT 2008

Vlastimil Šetka wrote:

> Sometimes (cca twice a day) smbstatus return error output like this:
>  tdb(/var/run/samba/sessionid.tdb): rec_read bad magic 0xd9fee666 at
> offset=116988

It looks like you have an issue with a record.  Stop your service for a
moment, go in and cp your files in /var/run/samba to a new directory,
say to /var/run/samba.backup, then go into /var/run/samba and do this:

tdbbackup -sbak *.tdb
tdbbackup -v -sbak

...then start Samba.  The first makes a backup of your tdb tables; the
second verifies (and restores if needed) your tdb records.  This is
safe, but if there was any issue, you can always restore your files from
the copy in /var/run/samba.backup that you made.

> It's a bug or a feature and smbstatus is only informative? It's solved
> in some newer version? Can you tell me about better source for connected
> user status?

On RHEL52 here and just moved up to 3.0.28 as part of an update from
stock RHEL50.  Significant difference in stability and behavior from the
stock 3.0.25b.  Twice-a-week locking issues have just "disappeared" and
using the Computer Management tool attached to the Samba server shows
actual files open instead of "ghost files".

Does "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" show any entries for Samba?