[Samba] PID-File smbd/nmbd

w.wegner at astro-kom.de w.wegner at astro-kom.de
Fri Sep 19 13:35:37 GMT 2008

Hi Jerry,

On 19 Sep 2008 at 8:28, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> w.wegner at astro-kom.de wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I just stumbled over a configuration issue that I seem to remember
> > not to be there in 3.0.20 (when I built up my configuration).
> >
> > The pid file name is built including a suffix specifying the
> > configuration name. (this is done directly in pidfile_create in
> > lib/pidfile.c)
> >
> > There is no need to do so because the "pid directory" lets
> > one specify a directory to store the pid file. Furthermore, this
> > behaviour is not documented anywhere (at least I could not
> > find a reference yet).
> > Last but not least, it makes control of multiple servers with
> > one start script less straight-forward.
> >
> > Conclusion: I consider this behaviour as a bug.
>
> This was a patch specifically added by request IIRC.
>
>   commit e8bf421c018ed829b9dba7c0872693080b77d49d
>   Author: Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org>
>   Date:   Thu Nov 2 09:37:52 2006 +0000
>
>     r19533: Add a suffix to the program name if this is a
>     process with a non-default configuration file name.
>     Jeremy.

thanks for the clarification!

I did not find that reference to the change, so could not know
about its history.

Nevertheless I can not see why it is useful to have such an
automatism here. Those who use a different config file could
have a config file option, so a new config option "pid file name"
would have solved the problem and cause less trouble for
others, IMHO.

Best regards,
Wolfgang