[Samba] PID-File smbd/nmbd

w.wegner at astro-kom.de w.wegner at astro-kom.de
Fri Sep 19 13:11:21 GMT 2008

Dear list,

I just stumbled over a configuration issue that I seem to remember
not to be there in 3.0.20 (when I built up my configuration).

The pid file name is built including a suffix specifying the
configuration name. (this is done directly in pidfile_create in
lib/pidfile.c)

There is no need to do so because the "pid directory" lets
one specify a directory to store the pid file. Furthermore, this
behaviour is not documented anywhere (at least I could not
find a reference yet).
Last but not least, it makes control of multiple servers with
one start script less straight-forward.

Conclusion: I consider this behaviour as a bug.

Any comments? :-)

Best regards,
Wolfgang