[Samba] Leopard SMB File Move Permissions Bug ?

ScottZ mylists at pinesalad.net
Thu Sep 18 01:47:20 GMT 2008

Yea, I realize this is an Apple problem since they do their own things
with Samba, but wanted to confer with the samba experts here as Apple
has yet to fix this in the last year (10.5.2 to 10.5.5).

I've recently report it to apple as still a bug but wondering if it
might have a workaround?

Scenario:
You created or have an existing file on a mac smb share

Permissions look like:
-rwxr--r-- 1 Albert staff 2048 Sep 16 11:00 file.txt

If you move the file to another location on the smb share via an XP
client, permissions end up as:
---------- 1 Albert staff 2048 Sep 16 11:00 file.txt

Same thing for directories.
It doesn't matter if the files or directories exist prior to the move or
are newly created.
It also doesn't matter if the directory your moving the files/directory
to exists or newly created.

Mapping a drive on the xp client and using a command prompt, I can move
a file successfully with the move command and it retains it's original
permissions.

Version of Samba being reported in Leopard 10.5.5 is 3.0.25b-apple

No errors are showing up in nmbd or smbd logs when the file/directory
move is done.

Their default smb.conf is:

[global]
    debug pid = yes
    log level = 1
    server string = Mac OS X

    printcap name = cups
    printing = cups

    encrypt passwords = yes
    use spnego = yes

    passdb backend = odsam

    idmap domains = default
    idmap config default: default = yes
    idmap config default: backend = odsam
    idmap alloc backend = odsam
    idmap negative cache time = 5

    map to guest = Bad User
    guest account = nobody
    unix charset = UTF-8-MAC
    display charset = UTF-8-MAC
    dos charset = 437

    vfs objects = darwinacl,darwin_streams

    ; Don't become a master browser unless absolutely necessary.
    os level = 2
    domain master = no

    ; For performance reasons, set the transmit buffer size
    ; to the maximum and enable sendfile support.
    max xmit = 131072
    use sendfile = yes

    ; The darwin_streams module gives us named streams support.
    stream support = yes
    ea support = yes

    ; Enable locking coherency with AFP.
    darwin_streams:brlm = yes

    ; Core files are invariably disabled system-wide, but attempting to
    ; dump core will trigger a crash report, so we still want to try.
    enable core files = yes

    ; Configure usershares for use by the synchronize-shares tool.
    usershare max shares = 1000
    usershare path = /var/samba/shares
    usershare owner only = yes
    usershare allow guests = yes
    usershare allow full config = yes

    ; Filter inaccessible shares from the browse list.
    com.apple:filter shares by access = yes

    ; Check in with PAM to enforce SACL access policy.
    obey pam restrictions = yes

    ; Don't be trying to enforce ACLs in userspace.
    acl check permissions = no

    ; Make sure that we resolve unqualified names as NetBIOS before DNS.
    name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast host

    ; Pull in system-wide preference settings. These are managed by
    ; synchronize-preferences tool.
    include = /var/db/smb.conf

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /tmp
    printable = yes
    guest ok = no
    create mode = 0700
    writeable = no
    browseable = no

; Site-specific parameters can be added below this comment.
; END required configuration.

Ideas ?