[Samba] smbldaptools not creating unix group/users

David Collins db.collins at yahoo.com.au
Sat Sep 13 01:45:15 GMT 2008

Tc,

I think you might be expecting these commands to do something more than
they will do.

smbldap-populate will create 4 OUs and the standard windows groups
("Domain Users", "Backup Operators", etc.) and a sambaDomainName object.
smbldap-useradd will only create a new posix user (with or without
Samba/windows attributes depending on the -a option) in the LDAP tree.

If you want to create a new group in LDAP, use smbldap-groupadd.
If you want to migrate existing linux groups from /etc/group then you
can use the smbldap-migrate-unix-groups script, that is part of the
smbldap-tools package.

Maybe this article written for Hardy Ubuntu might clarify things a
bit ..
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenLDAP-SambaPDC-OrgInfo-Posix

Regards,
David Collins