[Samba] long delay accessing print properties on client

Greg Saunders greg at lnxinc.com
Thu Sep 11 23:06:18 GMT 2008

I've seen a proposed fix for this problem

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2005-September/110571.html

and it has no influence on my installation.

client workstations: XP Pro SP 2
number of clients: about 500
server O/S: ubuntu hardy 8.04

ha1 ~: uname -a
Linux ha1 2.6.24-19-xen #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 21:08:51 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

ha1 ~: dpkg -l samba*
ii  samba          3.0.28a-1ubunt a LanManager-like file and printer server
fo
ii  samba-common   3.0.28a-1ubunt Samba common files used by both the server

I have some drivers that take 30 to 60 seconds to access the properties from
the client; typically seem to be Xerox and a few HP Designjet drivers. I
have other drivers, Ricoh as an example, that do not exhibit this behaviour
and function properly. I have other installations with different server O/S
(Open Suse 10.2) and older versions of Samba with the same problem.

The samba process on the server ramps the CPU up to 90+% when the client
operation is taking place.

Help / suggestions is much appreciated.

Greg