[Samba] Failed to retrieve password from secrets.tdb with anonymous bind

Wed Sep 10 06:56:48 GMT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 08:41:03AM +0200, Dr. Alberto Benati wrote:
> Unfortunately I don't have a password to administer this external ldap but
> only query / bind anonymously
>
> if I enable a local (127.0.0.1) openldap with administration (rootdn and
> rootpw) everything works well.
> Samba seems to work that must administer LDAP unlike ProFtpd that retrieve
> data and stop

You are aware that due to the NTLM challenge-response system
Samba must store plaintext equivalents of the passwords in
LDAP? You definitely can't give them out anonymously. If you
do that, you could as well just use no user database at all,
everyone is allowed everything.

Volker