[Samba] Share access on new server

Ken Findlay kjf at taylorbritt.com
Mon Sep 8 18:29:50 GMT 2008

I am new to the Samba world and need to port the Samba setup from an old server running BEL Server (RedHat under the hood) with Samba 3.0.25 to a RedHat EL 5.2 server with Samba 3.0.28, but some of the share access is not working.

After copying over the smb.conf file I ran testparm and had issues with the oplocks so I commented out the entries referring to oplocks (also the docs indicated that modifiying the lock settings should not be necessary).

After starting the smbd/nmbd the server shows up in the network browser along with the workstations and old Samba server (I changed the name in the new server smb.conf file so they could both be accessed) and the users can access their home shares but not the secondary shares. The secondary shares have entries such as:

      user = @groupname

where the group names are valid linux groups on both the old and new servers.

There does not appear to be a domain server in use - users login in with simple name and password on the PC's.

The old linux server used the smbpasswd backend so I just ported it rather than try to modify before I get the shares working.

The error messages we get are as follows:

     From 2000 PC         "The network name cannot be found"

    From XP PC             "The network path was not found"

Both systems tested can ping the server with the hostname.

I just tested another PC used for some mail hosting programs and it can access all the shares but is logged in as Administrator so is using the root user mapping to access all.

The output from the testparm command is as follows:

[global]
        workgroup = SILON
        map to guest = Bad User
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        printcap cache time = 60
        printcap name = cups
        dns proxy = No
        idmap uid = 10000-10500
        idmap gid = 10501-10999
        path = /home/administrator/SHARES
        username = @staff
        write list = @staff

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        use client driver = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers
        write list = @adm, root
        inherit permissions = Yes
        guest ok = Yes

[pdf-gen]
        comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)
        path = /var/tmp
        printable = Yes
        printing = bsd
        print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf "%s" "%H" "//%L/%u" "%m" "%I" "%J" &
        lpq command = /bin/true
        lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j

[install]
        path = /home/administrator/SHARES/install

[general]
        path = /home/administrator/SHARES/general
        create mask = 0770
        directory mask = 0770

[lab_data]
        path = /home/administrator/SHARES/lab_data
        username =
        valid users = @lab-staff, samplonius
        write list = @lab-staff
        read only = No
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777

[backup]
        path = /home/administrator/SHARES/backup
        username = @secure_staff
        write list = @secure_staff

[acct]
        comment = Accounting Share