[Samba] some questions

Xu, Qiang (FXSGSC) Qiang.Xu at fujixerox.com
Mon Sep 8 05:39:34 GMT 2008

Hi, all:

In doing image transfer over SMB protocol, I have some questions hard to understand.

1. Is there any difference between username "\z27jxk" and "sun-rm\z27jxk"? What I see is the former can log in to the SMB server, while the later can't. When the server receives the login request with the username in the form "\<username>", what domain it will look up the user in?

2. In one login request, the trace shows "Session Setup AndX Request, User: \z27jxk", while the other trace shows "Session Setup AndX Request, NTLMSSP_AUTH, User: sun-rm\z27jxk". What is the effect of NTLMSSP_AUTH here?

3. Can I identify the strict securiy policy at the server's end with "NTLMv2 only" in the network trace? Is "NTLMv2 only" recognizable with some special token in the trace?

Looking forward to any suggestions,
Xu Qiang