[Samba] Samba out of the box ?

David Collins db.collins at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 7 23:40:52 GMT 2008

I have been looking at the FreeNAS and OpenFiler distros which install
Samba in addition to other services, and then provide a simple web
interface to set up and maintain the system.  I can see the benefit of
having a team of people that do the work setting up the various services
on a particular operating system (and presumably testing it on different
hardware), and then providing it to the community as a ready-to-use
package.

I am after your views of when a package like FreeNAS is a good option
and when it is better to get Samba, DNS, Squid, etc. working yourself on
your own choice of Linux/Unix ?

Regards,
David Collins