[Samba] winbind separator problem -after reboot

Barry R Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sun Sep 7 00:18:00 GMT 2008

Hello List,

Has anyone experienced the following by chance? On a recent fresh install
of EL5 after getting Samba setup all works fine until a reboot of the
server. I then have to either uncomment or comment the ' winbind separator
= + ', then do a service smb restart, then all is fine, in regards to a
samba file share. If I do not do this i get in the samba logs '
DOMAIN+<username> is not recognized'.Once I do my uncommenting or
commenting of that one line then the shares all show up correctly. I m not
sure if it is smb.conf or winbind. I have the default version of winbind
that shipped with EL5. I used the default samba 3.23c then updated to 3.24
and both versions have done the same.
I have also found recently if I do a service winbind restart the same
holds true as a system reboot.
This is configured as a domain member to AD MS domain.Now that I know the
fix,it is a simple fix,but would like to pinpoint the problem. I sysadmin
for a 1000 student school so I need not to babysit the server if we have a
power outage and server needs to be fired back up when I m offsite.
smb.conf

[global]
	name resolve order = wins bcast host lmhosts
	idmap gid = 10000-20000
	vscan-clamav: config-file = /etc/samba/vscan-clamav.conf
	cups options = raw
	idmap uid = 10000-20000
	disable netbios = yes
	local master = yes